Episode 34: Sasha DiGiulian
Sasha DiGiulian on breaking records, bullying and overcoming injury
Climber Sasha DiGiulian joins Opening the Playbook to discuss where her love of the sport comes from, how she handled being bullied and the pressures that come with being one of the most famous faces in the sport.
Sasha has been climbing since she was six years old and received her first sponsorship when she was 12. Since then, she’s become a World Champ, 5x PanAm Games Champ, and 3x US National Champ, and has broken more records than you can count. She’s also proudly been a first for many climbs, which she says comes from wanting to push herself and show others what she can do.
Sasha also dives into being bullied by a fellow climber in the sport and how she stood up to it. It also led her to becoming a strong advocate for women in sports, especially in the climbing world.
In today’s episode, Sasha discusses how losing her dad at a young age helped shape her into the person she is today, and how it also changed how she climbs. And finally, she touches on undergoing hip surgery seven months ago, which is the longest she’s had to step away from the sport.
· She’s a World Champ, 5x PanAm Games Champ, and 3x US National Champ
· She’s a Columbian Journalism and Business Graduate
· She’s been bullied in the sport and has had no problem standing up against it
· She’s currently taking her longest break from climbing while recovering from hip surgery
· Being one of the most recognizable faces in the climbing world
· How she learned to get over her FOMO while recovering from her injury
· Dealing with her father’s death at a young age
· How she handled being bullied by a fellow climber
· The difficulties of fitting in in the sport
“Climbing definitely has a bro’s club in the sport…and I think if you don’t fit in and you’re not trying to be like a “cool girl” and roll with the punches when the punches hurt a lot, then you can be demonized and seen as someone who doesn’t belong. And I definitely experienced a side of that.”
Guest Info – Sasha DiGiulian
Twitter: @ sashadigiulian
Facebook: Sasha DiGiulian
Outsidetv – 10AM on a Tuesday
Host Info – Christina Heydanus
Show Info – Opening the Playbook
Facebook: Opening the Playbook